   Re: [xml-dev] "Smart ASCII" -> XML for authoring?

on 2/2/02 11:51 AM, Bill Lindsey at bill@b-bop.com wrote:

> It's a trade-off, of course.  You have to balance the
> training costs and tool costs against productivity
> gains.

It is a tradeoff. course. But I think the tradeoff is between how much
precision is required and how much fuzziness is acceptable, as opposed to
training costs and tool costs.

> I don't expect the casual user to ever become comfortable
> with angle brackets, let alone dig the zen of
> the-thing-named-by-a-namespace-name-which-is-a-URI.

I agree. If we ever have to force *casual* users to ever become comfortable
with angle brackets, then we have failed to do our job.

> on 2/2/02 10:11 AM, Mike Champion at mc@xegesis.org wrote:
>
>> should XML stay in the background, or is it time
>> for the end-users to add basic markup knowledge to their repertoire
>> of skills?

I think XML should stay in the backgound for casual users. Content creation
tools should provide people ways to express themselves at different levels
of sophistication. Casual users should still be able to get their point
across efficiently, even if it is a little fuzzy.