   RE: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented vs actio

> From: Roger L. Costello [mailto:costello@mitre.org]

<snip/>

> I have convinced myself that there are two fundamentally different
> approaches to designing Web service XML messages.  They are:
>
> 1. The data-oriented approach
>
> 2. The action-oriented approach

<snip/>

> c. Intuitively, I think that the data-oriented approach is the right
> approach.  I believe that XML messages should not be simply procedure
> calls disguished in XML (which is how I see the action-oriented
> approach). Data-oriented XML messages requires a different
> mindset, and
> will result in a different way of building Web services.

I disagree with this characterization. There is no reason why an
"action-oriented" message must be a procedure call.

Think of this at the level of business processes. If party A wants to send a
purchase order to party B, do they really just want to send data? No. They
want to initiate some workflow. This will happend in the context of some
sort of agreement between the parties with some mutual understanding of what
sort of interactions will occur between parties as the result of the
submission of a purchase order. Party A does not care about the technical
implementation of party B's web service, so the notion of a procedure call
is not relevant here. But party A does have expectations of how party B will
handle the message from a business process perspective. This is definitely
action-oriented, but at a layer of abstraction that is aligned with business
processes, not programming-level interfaces.