   RE: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented vs actio

> From: Mark Baker [mailto:distobj@acm.org]

<snip/>

> > I appreciate any clarity you can bring to this topic.  /Roger
>
> You are well on your way to REST enlightenment. 8-)
>
> Read back over the "Generality of HTTP" thread.  HTTP methods provide
> all the necessary "action" you'll ever need.

Not quite. HTTP will only let you express one action for the entire message.
We routinely use rich messages that bundle a number of actions together to
minimize network roundtrips. (I believe I've heard SOAP developers refer to
this as "box-carrying".) In addition, any one of those actions may
themselves contain nested actions that are evaluated within the context of
the containing action.

I don't see how you would express this purely at the HTTP layer.