   Re: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented v

> Not quite. HTTP will only let you express one action for the entire message.
> We routinely use rich messages that bundle a number of actions together to
> minimize network roundtrips. (I believe I've heard SOAP developers refer to
> this as "box-carrying".)

Heh, that's "boxcarring", as in trains 8-)

> In addition, any one of those actions may
> themselves contain nested actions that are evaluated within the context of
> the containing action.
>
> I don't see how you would express this purely at the HTTP layer.

The complexity of boxcarring RPC calls is huge because you don't know
anything about those calls.  HTTP supports a related, but much simpler
feature called "pipelining".  It's simpler primarily because the HTTP
methods have known behaviour.  For example, it is known that you can
pipeline as many GET methods as you like, because they can be assumed to
be free of side effects.  This is not the case for an arbitrary RPC
method.  See;

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8.1.2.2

MB