   Getting rid of entities (was: misprocessing namespaces)

* Tim Bray

| Actually, you've put your finger on it.  I think we could lose
| general entities tomorrow without much weeping.  The piece that
| hurts is named characters.  In particular the math people will
| suffer severely.  So the right thing to do is to figure out a way to
| put in characters by name, not number, without invoking all the
| expensive general-purpose entity machinery.

Actually, I think this is an enlightenment issue, rather than a core
technology issue.

Editors, and the people who make editors, need to realize that user
interfaces should be made in such a way as to make it easy to insert
all kinds of Unicode characters, and preferrably in ways much more
user-friendly than through the use of wierd and, often formally
incorrect, names.

I saw John Cowan's proposal, but I don't think the correct solution is
to force people to redeclare their aliases in every single XML
document they write. If they can do that they might nearly just as
well use the numeric references.