   Re: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented v s acti

Hi Mike,

Mike Champion wrote:

 > Message exchange patterns are closely related to the issue of
 > "coupling, and  this is brought out in the rant against the RPC
 > paradigm that someone recently  posted a link to
http://www.omnifarious.org/~hopper/technical/corbabad.html

I know nothing about CORBA, but I agree with you that the higher success
of protocols over APIs is a coupling issue, and in fact I'd go further
and say it's nothing to do with sync/async. For me, the simple problem
is that an API gives closer coupling between content and transport,
whereas a protocol give looser coupling. Message structures change
independently from transport details, so why link them? That's why I
push document-oriented messaging for business web services.

Francis.