   Re: [xml-dev] Getting rid of entities (was: misprocessing namespaces)

 From: "John Cowan" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>

> Layering is a *good* thing.

Not always. See Carl Malamud's excellent book* on why the overlayered
OSI Reference Model failed to get successful/popular/excellent(?) implementations
while TCP/IP has taken over.  He attributed it to the over-layering of OSI,
causing too much double-handling and complexity.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

* I had a spooky experience reading this. He wrote an aside something
like "the only good thing about visiting Adelaide is stopping in Sydney for
coffee at the Cafe Hernadez" which was the cafe I was sitting in at the time.
Clearly sympatico at some level.