   RE: [xml-dev] Getting rid of entities (was: misprocessing namespaces)

> Not always. See Carl Malamud's excellent book* on why the overlayered
> OSI Reference Model failed to get
> successful/popular/excellent(?) implementations
> while TCP/IP has taken over.

Actually, the protocol stack we use today (SOAP, XML, HTTP, TCP, IP, ...)
can be seen as a highly successful implementation of the OSI Reference
Model. It's the OSI protocols that failed, not the layered reference model.
And the protocols failed not because there were too few implementations, but
because there were too many (one for each computer manufacturer), whereas
TCP/IP had a single portable implementation that was available free of
charge.

Mike Kay