   Re: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented vs actio

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 16:07, Bill de hÓra wrote:

> Hi Al,
>
> It's not different (but Sean's already said that). There are a couple of
> things (at least) that make it more of a pain though, 1) you mightn't
> own all the processes involved (a bit like not having source code in a
> local app maybe)

Indeed. As long as the interface is documented, it shouldn't be a problem. I
don't have the source code to most of the libraries I use from Java!

> 2) the scale of a distributed system makes refactoring
> your way out of trouble tough compared to a local app (locally, you can
> often see what broke in front of your eyes).

That's just a matter of scale... the distributedness of it all doesn't make a
bit of difference, except maybe increasing the scale of the system...
non-distributed systems get bloated too :-)

> Bill de hÓra

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell