   RE: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented v s acti

Yes.  As I said, I think it is more complicated than
just QOS at the level of fast servers.  QOS is just a
number at one level made up of lots of different inputs
from different business functions.  The negotiation of
business contracts will affect that, but even some high
level aspects of that are still amenable to web services.
I tossed that out because some people confuse the speed
of servers with the requirements to create desktop applications
that can share vocabularies loosely.  A faster server
sending noisy information is still Crap At Light Speed.

Interestingly, it is how many portals, who uses which ones,
and what are the terms for granting use of a service by a
portal that are worth looking at.  Should one, for example,
go to AOL to get public/government services?  Should one
go to a government site?  Both are probable solutions.

UDDI, WSFL, etc aren't orthogonal to the discussion of
models for web services.  They are the models.  They
take advantage of a natural human-derived architecture
for structuring the business processes of discovery,
engagement, negotiation, contracting, implementation
and performance to terms.  They may not be the only
models, but I suspect they will dominate.  The problem
at the moment is that just as this is starting, the
entire schema substructures are being reevaluated in
terms of a different layering at that level.  While
technically a good thing, from the point of view
that some industries are on the verge of getting
down to serious work on shared vocabularies for
web service transactions, it pisses on the fire
and introduces hesitation.

Businesses are changing the way they do business
because of web services.  It enables us to rethink
some of product strategies in a very fundamental
way, particularly, in the way we view competitors
and requirements for edge systems.  It enables us
to rethink our data aggregation strategies, particularly,
the data warehousing architectures.  It literally forces
us out of the foxholes into the no-man's land of
fast negotiations among loosely coupled business
agreements for single RFP bids.  It will be a
bigger change than some might think.  Marketing
and proposal processes have to evolve right up
front and some of the folks who are old hands
in the business are freakin'.  Trust isn't their
strong suit.

UDDI is sort of a phonebook/businesscard/billboard.

len