   RE: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented vs acti

It can work either way.  Just as XML doesn't care what you
consider data over actions (it's all data), web services don't
care if you build little RPC procedure calls or make requests
for business processes to be executed; you do.  Why?  In
any action-oriented exchange, you must be able to predict
the ranges and types of response a priori, or must engage
an analysis process on return.   You may not care how
I do the process, but you care that I respond using
codes you can interpret.  You also have to allow for
some exceptions.  In a request for a service (eg, a
request to bid on a project or sell a system), I may get a
checklist for requirements for my system (compliancy
codes typically, a list of codes with a definitive
and legally tight definition for the interpretation
of the codes.  I should also get a means to enter
exception information, alternatives, and so on.

If you look at the early examples from MS for web services
and orchestration of these, you find services at the level
of exchanges of documents of a type:  Request For Proposal,
Request for Information.  The document titles themselves have
the verb in them.  This is not accidental, is one way businesses
recognize process requests, and how predictability is built into
loosely coupled processes, particularly where such a
request is not point-to-point, but broadcast to a
potentially large set of recipients.  This of course is
why gestural systems exist within and among cultures.

It is useful to understand the ways that gesturual systems
are created and shared within and among cutlures. In the world's
languages, according to a program on the History Channel
surveying the evolution of marketing, the most common
word or gesture is "OK".  The second most common
one is "Coca Cola".  Note that there are two very
different levels of process going on here.

The evolutionary process of gestural systems has many inputs.
Web services can be agnostic to these as long as the scale
of the process is appropriate to the coarseness of the
transaction.   As the twig is bent....

len