   Re: [xml-dev] A heavier-weight proposal for character entitydefinition

Interesting.  Those are compelling use cases but this significantly
complicates things.  In particular, automatically using entities on output
becomes much more complicated.  Instead of a simple hash table that maps
character codes to entities, you have to have a trie.  I also see a
slippery slope opening up here:

1. single character
2. base character + combining character(s)/other Unicode modifier (MathML)
3. arbitrary sequence of characters (why limit 2? don't want to check
character types)
4. arbitrary well-formed content (3 allows arbitrary text, and for I18N
arbitrary text needs elements for eg BIDI and ruby)

Not clear what the right place to draw the line is here.