   Re: [xml-dev] A heavier-weight proposal for character entity definition

> The MathML people are very keen on entity references.  I think they want
> the complete set of ISO entities + their own ones.

yes that's true more or less.

> MathML seems to use
> almost all the standard ISO entity sets: I cannot see isogrk1 or isogrk2
> (they are used for written Greek).  The list is below, taken from
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/appendixa.html#parsing_dtd

For what it's worth all the MathML entity sets are driven off the same
file (unicode.xml, which is part of the XML sources of the mathml spec,
and linked from there), using some XSL transforms.

the same file has enough information to gerate the ISO and HTML sets in
addition to the ones used by MathML.

http://www.w3.org/Math/Group/entities/

includes tables for IS0 8879, ISO 9573-13, HTML and MathML.

(This is W3C member only for no particular reason, I could make them
available somewhere else if people are interested)

MathML has usually followed ISO 9573-13 where possible although there
are some name clashes between the two ISO sets and between them and
HTML. Which would have to be resolved one way or the other if there was
to be a grand unified sceme.

>   3) MathML's large collection

It would be very nice for MathML if there was a way to pass well formed
fragments around that had references to characters by name.
But I'd understand if implementers of lightweight systems objected to a
table of a couple of thousand or so names. So we're watching this thread
with interest....

David