   RE: [xml-dev] WSIO (was Re: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages

The telling part is the "commitment to an aggressive schedule".

My guess:  they are terrified of the fragmentation over XML Schemas, the
slow pace of the W3C at this time, and the centrality of the
TAG.  They have pushed a pawn to move the game along at a
pace more amenable to their product schedules.

It is the essential problem with the commercial-based
consortium:  when the power players don't get what they
want, they take their ball to another field and recruit
new teams.  That is predictable.   They will also use
the overlapping goals of OASIS and the W3C to drive a
wedge into that relationship.   Expect more reviews
of the "liaisons" and the rules for creating such.
That kicks it into committee, spreads FUD, and exhausts.

Meanwhile, a self-sustaining market emerges and the
lock-in solidifies based around a handful of workable
standards.  It's called "colonization".  It worked for
the W3C and has worked ever since.  Game as played.

Ever wonder why the old guys used ISO?  Nation/state
customers.  Slow but dammed hard to derail.  They
just need and should accept more programming
experts that implement independently.  If ISO is
smart, they will make peace with and a home for
the open source movement.  Nation states are
"of the people, by the people, for the people".

<lowblow>.. but not in Republican administrations.</lowblow>

len