   Re: [xml-dev] Documents within documents

Wayne Steele wrote:

> I concur.
> Let me clarify that I have never been a DTD-hater. I wish more XML Software
> did a better job of supporting or making full use of DTDs.

And I didn't mean to take a kick at what may just have been a lazily written
sentence. But it was just sitting there...;-)

> But the problem I mentioned, how they inhibit embedding one doc in another,
> is pretty damning.

Sure, in some cases, DTDs run into a dead end when trying to handle embedded
documents, so we should be looking for a bulletproof alternative. In a lot of
cases though, you could embed well-formed documents with very little work, and
even if the doctype had to persist, you could probably work some kludge with
PIs, storing the doctype information externally or inferring it at the other
end. We do need to replace DTDs eventually, but I don't feel that it's a raging
imperative.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au