   Re: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented v

I've been studiously avoiding this topic... but hey, it's almost
Friday ;-)

> >... I am just viewing this as
> > a rather spirited debate, though I'll confess to some frustration
> > trying to converse with folks who seem to think that rich
> > distributed systems can be constructed using purely the semantics
> > of GET and POST. The simple fact is, that is too constraining.
>
> Actually, we advise using GET, POST, PUT and DELETE.

FWIW. I wrote a distirbuted hypermedia/collaborative system back in
the late 80's where everything used s-expressions. That system only
had GET, SET and CALL... DELETE was  (set foo nil).... I said to Paul
and Mark offline that one of my objections to using HTTP for
everything is not how *simple* it is, but how complex it is...

That said, whether using HTTP as Paul and Mark are espousing is
applicable or not is an open question. I'd personally prefer to see
the same ideas applied to the design of a protocol optimized for the
usage pattern.