   Number of methods.

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> FWIW. I wrote a distirbuted hypermedia/collaborative system back in
> the late 80's where everything used s-expressions. That system only
> had GET, SET and CALL... DELETE was  (set foo nil)....

You can certainly build a distributed system in the manner you did. But
I would suggest that DELETE is useful because HTTP does not try to
interpret your message content. It reserves the message body entirely
for the application. You were *building* an application so you made a
different decision.

> ... I said to Paul
> and Mark offline that one of my objections to using HTTP for
> everything is not how *simple* it is, but how complex it is...

Unlike newer specs, most of that complexity was added by or in
consultation with, implementors, as they were implementing, to solve
problems they found in implementation.

> That said, whether using HTTP as Paul and Mark are espousing is
> applicable or not is an open question. I'd personally prefer to see
> the same ideas applied to the design of a protocol optimized for the
> usage pattern.

We're not going to get back into "what is HTTP for?" are we? ;)

 Paul Prescod