   Re: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented v

Michael Kay wrote:

> > And you insist that HTTP is the application.
>
> For networking people, the application has always been "the bit of software
> that sits at the next layer up from me". I remember OSI folks talking about
> file transfer and terminal emulation as applications!

This is exactly how XML and SGML people use the word application also!

But in this case there is a basically fixed definition, not a relative
one:

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/course/intro-pages/osi.html

Just as it would be somewhat counterproductive to build markup languages
on top of XHTML, it is somewhat so to build new protocols on top of an
application protocol like HTTP.

 Paul Prescod