   RE: [xml-dev] Categories of Web Service messages: data-oriented v

> And you insist that HTTP is the application.

For networking people, the application has always been "the bit of software
that sits at the next layer up from me". I remember OSI folks talking about
file transfer and terminal emulation as applications!

(Actually, the very word "application" comes from this bottom up view of the
world, where we think of a payroll package primarily in terms of the
technology it uses rather than the services it provides. Seen this way, the
ghastly IBM word "solution" actually has some merit.)

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com