   RE: [xml-dev] WSIO- With Name

Anyone can make their own club with a charter and
founding members.  It's a free country.   So no, I have
no more objections to this than to the skunk works efforts
where the original authors of XML 1.0 go off and create
their own profiles.  Same game; different scale.

I note that the WSIO papers thus far don't mention XML Schema as one of the vital
web service standards although I thought they would.  Since co-occurrence contraints
either are in the schema or have to be in the business logic, that would also affect
the web service capabilities with regards to which specs are in the profiles.  Profiles
sound like a good idea until you acutally write them and discover how QOS is affected
by the profile itself.  They have some serious work and they are just as likely
to get caught in the mire unless they already have an answer and this org is one
designed to promote a fait accompli.  Again, no objections on technical grounds; just
yetAnotherBunchaStuffToRead.

Did anyone get a chance to look at Tim Bray' et al's Skunk Work paper on XML over the
weekend?   It seems to me that of all the current threads, this one has the most
impact on every other topic.   That is, if we really want a layered architecture,
some options in the schema space, etc., a slimmed down XML 1.0 profile that
takes out DTDs so they can be moved to another layer is the right place to
start.  I'm not as happy that namespaces are there but am willing to entertain
arguments otherwise.    Can namespaces and alternatives such as John
Cowan's reworking of Archtectural Forms work together?  It seems they can
but for what functionalities?

In other words, will a slimmed down XML 1.0 compliant profile eliminate
options such as Archtectural Forms by insisting that namespaces are more
core than DTDs?  I can see that from the point of view of disambiguation
but not from semantic associations.

len