   Re: [xml-dev] REST has too many verbs

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> On Monday 11 February 2002 01:13 pm, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> > After spending a few hours catching up on the REST discussion here
> > and the discussions which led to it, I'm starting to wonder if
> > REST's adoration of HTTP raises problems itself.
>
> This is almost exactly what I said to Paul and Mark earlier.

Simon seems to want *0* verbs. You wanted 3. I think that's a difference
not just in degree, but in fundamental architecture.

> ... Roy's
> thesis even points out some of the issues with HTTP vis-a-vis REST...
> to the point that experimentation with things other than HTTP seems
> sensible.

Certainly, nobody could ever argue with experimentation. But for the
same reasons that WSIO exists to help people build services now, HTTP is
a mechanism for building services now. The complaints about HTTP that
you and Simon are making seem quite vague and seem to me to be rooted in
pre-judging rather than evaluating. Try HTTP for a system. We've got a
whole mailing list set up to help you through the process. If it runs
out of steam, tell us where and when. Then we can more easily evaluate
whether to start again from scratch or extend what we've got.

 Paul Prescod