   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST? (RE: [xml-dev] WSIO- With Name)

> > What is the URI of me? http://www.alaric-snell.com/ is the URI of an HTML
> > page about me, not *me*.
>
> It is if you say it is and the rest of us agree.

We don't need to agree.  He says it, and that makes it so.

Thought why he wouldn't want it to identify himself, rather than an HTML
page is a different question.  Certainly just *because* the GET returns
an HTML when you ask it for that (all browsers ask for text/html),
doesn't mean that the URI identifies the HTML.  HTML is one
*representation* of the resource, not necessarily the resource itself.

> > On the other hand, this is the URI of my mobile phone:
> >
> > urn:oid:1.2.826.0.1.4062548.2.0
> >
> > It does not support GET.
>
> Yeah, too bad it doesn't support HTTP yet. But it will.

telnet some-mobile-phone-provider.com 80

GET urn:oid:1.2.826.0.1.4072548.2.0 HTTP/1.1
Host: some-mobile-phone-provider.com
Accept: text/plain

response;

HTTP/1.1 200 Ok
Allow: GET, POST
[blank line]
Hi, I'm Al's mobile phone.  I'm currently powered off, so you'll
get voicemail.  POST some text to send an SMS.

POST urn:oid:1.2.826.0.1.4072548.2.0 HTTP/1.1
Host: some-mobile-phone-provider.com
[blank line]
Hey Al, any closer to understanding the value of REST yet?

MB