   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST? (RE: [xml-dev] WSIO- With Name)

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 18:06, you wrote:
> > > What is the URI of me? http://www.alaric-snell.com/ is the URI of an
> > > HTML page about me, not *me*.
> >
> > It is if you say it is and the rest of us agree.
>
> We don't need to agree.  He says it, and that makes it so.
>
> Thought why he wouldn't want it to identify himself, rather than an HTML
> page is a different question.  Certainly just *because* the GET returns
> an HTML when you ask it for that (all browsers ask for text/html),
> doesn't mean that the URI identifies the HTML.  HTML is one
> *representation* of the resource, not necessarily the resource itself.

But therein lies the problem. It could spurt out a nice HTML page about me
with pictures and everything, but all that static data can do is describe me.
The static data could contain my phone number allowing me to be rung, but
then that's escaping the Web model.

> telnet some-mobile-phone-provider.com 80
>
> GET urn:oid:1.2.826.0.1.4072548.2.0 HTTP/1.1
> Host: some-mobile-phone-provider.com
> Accept: text/plain

Hey! That wasn't an HTTP URL. And who told you that
some-mobile-phone-provider.com would be able to resolve that URN, hmmm?

> MB

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell