   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST? (RE: [xml-dev] WSIO- With Name)

> > http://some-mobile-phone-provider.com/subscriber/1.2.826.0.1.4072548.2.0
>
> But then I'm dependent on some-mobile-phone-provider.com (a centralised
> resource) for the resolveability of my mobile phone.

Well, they do "own" (more or less - certainly more than you do) your
phone number, as so are rightly able to be declared the authority for
it.

If you left them, and they provided a forwarding service, they could
also declare this with HTTP;

telnet some-mobile-phone-provider.com 80

GET urn:oid:1.2.826.0.1.4072548.2.0 HTTP/1.1

response;

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://some-other-mobile-phone-provider.com/customers/23482983423847

or, if they thought you might be returning as a customer;

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Location: http://some-other-mobile-phone-provider.com/customers/23482983423847

> I prefer phone: URLs for this... HTTP isn't a useful protocol for talking to
> a mobile phone; it's even a bit heavyweight for sending an SMS (which has
> very UDP semantics :-)

I beg to differ.  See;

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2001/telagent/

I've also used HTTP POST for sending SMSs for quite some time.  No
problems with it.  Many cellcos provide it.  See;

http://www.fido.ca/NASApp/info/HomeFrame/quickMessage.jsp?lang=en

MB