   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST? (RE: [xml-dev] WSIO- With Name)

Mark Baker wrote:

> > Let us define a subject as anything that can be talked about.  Then
> > subjects come in two flavors: those which are resources (with native
> > URIs) and those which aren't.  The W3C home page is a resource, the
> > W3C is not.  They have different properties and can't be blindly identified.
>
> This is not a definition of "resource" that I am familiar with.  RFC
> 2396 says (authoritatively);
>
>  "A resource can be anything that has identity."
>
> The W3C has identity, as does its web page.  So both are resources, and
> can therefore be identified by URIs.  Moreover, they can both be
> identified by HTTP URIs, because HTTP semantics are also defined to
> operate on anything with identity.

Okay, but how *do* we work around the use/mention problem where an
assertion could refer either to the W3C or to its home page. 95% of the
time it is okay to ignore this issue and use the same URI for both but
occasionally we will want to say something about one or the other. I
can't think of a case off the top of my head but...

 Paul Prescod