   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST? (RE: [xml-dev] WSIO- With Name)

From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@prescod.net]

>That's all the Web does. Ship descriptions (formally known as
>representations) of resources around. It does not move resources. I
>can't download Google's database by trying every URI. All I can get are
>representations of views of it.

If everyone agrees on that, then what does the REST vs WebServicesAsUDDI/WSFL/SOAP
debate come down to:

1.  Names.  GUIDs vs URIs.
2.  Where to put the names (in the URI, in the SOAP message)
3.  HTTP has all the methods we need if we just used them
    correctly and could accomodate complex (say rich) actions
    if we ganged them correctly   (I don't know how this
    can be proven.) vs we need specific API calls that enable
    us to discover a business exists, is of a given type, can offer
    typed services based on public or privately negotiated document
    types

A URI is a name and a locator.  A URI can have arguments
appended to the end of it, so it is a hyperlink and a function call
(which after a lot of years I've come to believe are the same thing
but we can argue about that).  A URI is supported ubiquitously, so
web services comes down not to a lot of new technology but to applying
what we already have.

What am I missing here other than needing to build up a sharable set
of arguments per process type which may be per business type which
may be per business which may be per department which may be per
local desktop?

When we did process decomps in the olden days we found that as
soon as we dropped below the department level, standardization
became not only difficult, it became counterproductive.  Almost
heisenbergian uncertainty takes over about what actually is
going on in these processes, that is, a state might be representable,
but isn't resolvable.  Even if REST is technically adequate, it
trips over real time and the unreliable repeatability of certain outcomes.
For such things, no web service or semantic web will be adequate so
just don't use the web for those things.

len

"They got a name for the winners in the world.
I want a name when I lose.
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide.
Call me, Deacon Blues."

Steely Dan