   OT: Arguments (was: a number of other threads)

[...]
> > > What is the URI of me? http://www.alaric-snell.com/ is the URI of an HTML
> > > page about me, not *me*.
> >
> > It is if you say it is and the rest of us agree.
>
> But it cannot capture *me*. What operations can be performed upon Alaric
> Snell? GET does not apply to me. I am not representable as a string of bits.
> I do not have a MIME type.
[...]

<tongue-in-cheek action="firmly">
 Anyone noticed that threads on certain topics always hit the same
 arguments after a certain number of postings? There's probably
 some kind of universal constant involved.

 With URIs, it's 'aha, but what does a URI _really_ mean?'

 We should develop shorthands for these and save ourselves some
 time:

 > Are you aware of URI-Metaphysics-Argument #12?
 >> Yes, but I parry your argument, with "The Matrix Riposte": I'm a real
 >> person and not some ghost in the machine

 We could then develop some Best Practices for URI Arguments.

 "To promote interoperability among mailing list arguments, one
 must play the Matrix Riposte within 10 messages of the keyword
 URI being mentioned".

 Over time once used enough and as new technologies emerge,
 arguments tend to evolve. We could call this the Pokemon Principle.
 It keeps the game interesting.

 Any takers?
</tongue-in-cheek>

Cheers,