   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re: [xml-dev] "Abstract" URIs

Patrick Stickler wrote:
> On 2002-02-13 15:31, "ext Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com> wrote:
>

>>PS: of course, if http://example.org/my-namespace.xml is a RDDL
>>document, http://example.org/my-namespace.xml#foo might contain a
>>documentation of what it really means...

This was a PS and almost a joke :) ! the main goal of my mail being to
draw the attention on the lack of coherence between URIs as seen by
XPointer, RDF and W3C XML Schema.

> What if the URI was "voc://example.org/my-namespace.xml#foo"
> which is not a URL? How does RDDL help solve the problem then?

No, but you remove 1/3 of the problem by removing XPointer from the
scene :=)

> And how do you know that the namespace is not in fact
> "http://example.org/my-namespace.xml#f"; with the name 'oo'?
>
> Don't get me wrong. I think there are some great ideas in RDDL
> and hope to see it succeed, but I think it has hitched its
> wagon to the wrong star by presuming that namespaces are
> resolvable URLs, and that all URIs grounded in the same namespace
> share the same semantics -- and folks need to realize that just
> overloading some namespace URI which was never intended to be
> anything more than punctuation is not going to help solve all
> these problems.

Of course not. OTH when a resolvable URI is used I think that a RDDL
document is the most sensible thing to host there.

Eric

--
Rendez-vous a Paris pour mes formations XML/XSLT.
                                           http://dyomedea.com/formation/