   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re: [xml-dev] "Abstract"URIs

On 2002-02-13 15:31, "ext Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com> wrote:

> PS: of course, if http://example.org/my-namespace.xml is a RDDL
> document, http://example.org/my-namespace.xml#foo might contain a
> documentation of what it really means...

What if the URI was "voc://example.org/my-namespace.xml#foo"
which is not a URL? How does RDDL help solve the problem then?

And how do you know that the namespace is not in fact
"http://example.org/my-namespace.xml#f"; with the name 'oo'?

Don't get me wrong. I think there are some great ideas in RDDL
and hope to see it succeed, but I think it has hitched its
wagon to the wrong star by presuming that namespaces are
resolvable URLs, and that all URIs grounded in the same namespace
share the same semantics -- and folks need to realize that just
overloading some namespace URI which was never intended to be
anything more than punctuation is not going to help solve all
these problems.

Cheers,

Patrick