   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re: [xml-dev] "Abstract" URIs

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> A URI is simply a name for a thing, whatever that thing may be. A name is
> not the thing that it names, just as the string "Alaric Snell" is not you.
> The concept of names was not invented yesterday, nor in 1991. The
> relationship between names and the things they name has been formally worked
> out in various logics etc. for centuries.

Yes, but this relationship has been used by human being used to deal
with a certain level of ambiguity and our applications would be easier
to develop if this ambiguity was removed.

A superficial look at various specifications makes me feel worried that
it might not always be the case even between W3C specifications :=) !

If we take "http://example.org/my-namespace.xml#foo"; for instance...

For XPointer, this is the XML element which ID is "foo".

For RDF, this can be element which type (ie name) is "foo" in namespace
"http://example.org/my-namespace.xml";.

For W3C XML Schema, the QName equivalent (ex:foo) is (depending on the
context) the element, the global attribute, the simple or complex type,
the element group AND the attribute group named "foo" for the target
namespace "http://example.org/my-namespace.xml";.

This doesn't help to understand what
"http://example.org/my-namespace.xml#foo"; might be identifying :=) !

Eric

PS: of course, if http://example.org/my-namespace.xml is a RDDL
document, http://example.org/my-namespace.xml#foo might contain a
documentation of what it really means...
--
Rendez-vous a Paris pour mes formations XML/XSLT.
                                           http://dyomedea.com/formation/