   Re: RE: [xml-dev] WSIO vs. Semantic Web

2/13/2002 12:51:10 AM, "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com> wrote:

[Tim Bray]
>> I blame Steve Ballmer.  When I talked to Festa I had just heard
>another
>> one of Steve's rants about how XML and Web Services were bigger than
>> the Internet, bigger than the PC, bigger than God, etc... Sigh.

[Joshua Allen]
> What bothers me is when the reporters covering these things oversimplify and
>make it sound like there are two armies facing off.

The "buzz" I got a month ago was that Paul Festa had been given a lot of off-the-record
complaints about the W3C and the Web Services vs the Semantic Web issue and was looking
for someone to quote.  My take on it at the time was that folks at MS and/or IBM had
realized that the W3C is *not* the place to be hammering out web services
interoperability issues and that they were leaking stories to prepare the ground for
some non-W3C initiative.  I think it's to Festa's (or his editors') credit that the
story didn't run until the WS-I announcement gave it some reality.

Alternatively, it may simply be that lots of people more or less simultaneously came to
the conclusion that the "Web Services are bigger than God" hype balloon is about to
deflate, and decided to proactively blame the W3C/Semantic Web ... sortof like Enron
blaming Arthur Anderson for its collapse :~)