   Re: [xml-dev] Errors in Kendall Clark's xml.com article on QNames

At 01:50 PM 13/02/02 +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

I fought against letting QNames escape into content, lost
the argument to James Clark, but I'm beginning to think that
the cost-benefit trade-off is positive, despite the considerable
cost.

>2) "..there's no way for an XML processor to tell whether QNames are
>   used in values." (again, quoting Lenz [2], ellipses in original)
>
>That's simply false -- any sensible use of QNames would involve a W3C
>XML Schema or other type-assigning schema language,

No, Henry.  A substtantial proportion of application use no schemas
whatsoever past design time.  Yes, IF you have a schema language
that supports QNames as a type and IF you have a such a schema for
the XML language you're using and IF you're willing to take
the overhead of schema validation at run-time, THEN there
is a way for an XML processor to tell whether QNames are
hiding in content.  Otherwise not. -Tim