   Re: [xml-dev] Errors in Kendall Clark's xml.com article on QNames

Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> writes:

<snip/>

> HT said:

> >That's simply false -- any sensible use of QNames would involve a W3C
> >XML Schema or other type-assigning schema language,
>
> No, Henry.  A substtantial proportion of application use no schemas
> whatsoever past design time.  Yes, IF you have a schema language
> that supports QNames as a type and IF you have a such a schema for
> the XML language you're using and IF you're willing to take
> the overhead of schema validation at run-time, THEN there
> is a way for an XML processor to tell whether QNames are
> hiding in content.  Otherwise not. -Tim

1) I was overly terse above, and at least one other respondent has not
unreasonably misunderstood -- I should have said "any sensible use of
QNames _in content_ . . ." (as opposed to for element and attribute
names).

2) I guess what I'm saying is that I'm betting that applications which
find QNames in content useful will also find that type-enriched
infosets are useful too, and be willing to pay the price of getting
them.  I understand that you're betting the other way.  Time will tell.

ht