   RE: RE: [xml-dev] WSIO vs. Semantic Web - Setting the Record Straight

Yes.

What the WSIO has to cope with, it must cope with
in the heat of an intense competition.  What the
W3C has to cope with, it must in the heat of
competing ideas and designs.  Where this converges
is on the desktop and the server.  If you have
tried to integrate some of the new database offerings
with the desktop and seen the apalling gaps that
are suddenly popping out of the drivers, it is
obvious this won't happen overnight.  I have
to hope the ambitious goals of the WSIO and
Web service advocates scale to the micro world
as well as the macro world of the Internet.  No
amount of hype patches an ODBC error or server
can't be found or is unavailable error.  I too
find the prospect of Global DLL Hell not attractive.

So simple will definitely be better on this
one, and coarse will have to work first.  In
short form, basic interoperability of services
is what is needed now, the Web As Enterprise,
not As Computer.

I need to give REST a rest for the moment and ask
what those baseline and global specs have in them
to see what kind of patterns emerge.  If these are
the specs the WSIO intends to factor, then that's
where my immediate tasks are.  Like it or not,
.NET is a fact of life for me.

len