   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re: [xml-dev]"Abstract"URIs

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 12:51, Paul Prescod wrote:
> It is the Web Architecture.
>
> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Generic.html
>
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html
>
> You can argue that it should not be. But it is.

I keep running into the "Web Architecture" being what it is.  I've yet
to find out what the criteria for changing the Web Architecture might
be, or any sign that arguing against these (IMHO, weak) foundations has
any hope of success.

However much everyone argues, URIs remain the same unchanging black
hole.  I see a lot of people heading off to their own corner to build
systems which use URIs (or ignore them in favor of QNames) however they
see fit - and less and less chance of making the systems share a common
understanding.

The W3C TAG at least shows some strong signs of interest in keeping
things brought to them coherent.  I'll be curious to see how they
interact with the black hole of URIs over time.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!