   Re: [xml-dev] [OT] "Blackbird" not "Blackberry" Re: [xml-dev] WSIO vs. S

Joshua Allen wrote:

> Although, the success of Flash should show that "proprietary web-page
> authoring language" is not a completely misguided idea.  Not that I
> think people should be doing this; just pointing out that such efforts
> are not defacto doomed to failure.

Flash is fully Web integrated. That's why it succeeds. Adobe is a master
at understanding how much they must open up to get buy-in. The Web is
set up to accept an infinite number of content types and one addressing
model. You can't compete with the Web any more than you can compete with
the phone system. Adobe wasn't vain enough to try.

Interesting thing I've noticed. Look at how many non-HTTP URI schemes
there are: http://www.w3.org/Addressing/schemes . In theory these are
all part of "the Web" but in practice their level of deployment is
pathetic. It suggests that even within the web, setting up new
addressing models is really, really hard. URIs are the borg and HTTP
URIs are the borg within the borg.

Every "web service" that builds its own addressing model in RPC
parameters is in competition with the web's addressing model. Nobody has
yet explained how this is a good thing for either party but somehow it's
the Web Services Way. I suspect that any service that Matters (even
UDDI) will also have a REST interface, but at first they will be
HTML-only, not XML.

> Another point, I believe that the MSDN site was the first major
> technology company to allow random visitors to annotate articles with
> ratings and comments.  Not exactly semantic web, but certainly not
> semantic "hostile".

Microsoft is not really Web hostile. I'd suspect that the level of
cluefulness in MS is higher than the industry average. But the ball is
rolling and it seems nobody can stop it now until it rolls off the
cliff.

===

I seem to have missed the message where someone corrected my thinko of
Blackberry to Blackbird. Thanks!

 Paul Prescod