   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST was Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names

On Sun, 2002-02-17 at 10:02, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 8:37 PM -0800 2/16/02, Joe English wrote:
> >(P.S. to Simon -- it sounds like using java.net.URI instead
> >of lava.lang.String for URIs is just making more work for
> >yourself unless you're going to be resolving them.  In fact
> >the equals() method isn't even correct for XML namespace names.)
>
> This thread is beginning to convince me that a namespace name is not
> a URI. If such a basic notion as identity/equality is different for
> URIs and namespace names, then they may in fact not be the same
> thing. They may just happen to share the same grammar.

That's my conclusion as well.  I've set up a com.simonstl.moe.uri
package, but the class name will be changing to NamespaceURI. (I've
already used the class names NamespaceName and Namespace,
unfortunately.)

This class may eventually wrap and use the Java 1.4 URI class, but it's
really going to be about namespaces and namespace-specific issues, like
RDDL information.  (Seems like a good place to look into DDDS as well.)

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!