   Re: RE: [xml-dev] Traditional RPC

On Monday 18 February 2002 11:38 am, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Scalability worries me.  Treating a WAN like a LAN worries me.
> Getting the scripters to not code too close the process of an
> individual desktop worries me.  On the other hand, reliance on a
> global namespace has its perils too.  The issue today is edge system
> integration; not understanding the philosophy of URI.  That is
> corrupt on the face of it; it conveniently "webs" but the namespace
> as URI is corrosive.

These concerns are all valid too... the thing is that REST vs. RPC vs.
<whatever> is the least part of it. At the end of the day, a poorly
designed REST-ish application will still suck... and as my father used
to say "a poor carpenter blames his tools".

Here's a quick question: using REST and RPC, how would you do file
upload (which is a good example of generally being BAD)?