   Re: [xml-dev] Traditional RPC

On Monday 18 February 2002 12:12 pm, Mike Champion wrote:
> Likewise with URIs; I can more easily imagine an "average"
> person accessing a Web service by tweaking a big ugly URL
> and putting the result in a frame or a table or formatted with
> CSS than I can imagine them buying VS.NET, installing some
> libraries to make a SOAP call from Javascript, sorting
> out when they must use XML-RPC and when they must use SOAP, etc.

I agree with this... but I also think it points out a problem: the web
browser is being used both as an information delivery tool and as an
application deployment platform.

I've often felt that the requirements for those two things are so
vastly different that different tools should be used... one way or
another, publishing to the web and developing web-based applications
is simply too hard and too expensive...