   Re: [xml-dev] Traditional RPC

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> At 4:23 PM -0800 2/17/02, Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> >What do you mean by synchronous? Is SMTP asynchronous? If so, so is
> >HTTP:
> >
> >  * http://www.prescod.net/asynchhttp.html
> >
> >I would agree that there are protocols which are deeply asynchronous,
> >unlike SMTP and HTTP. But most people, when they say asynchronous mean
> >SMTP and HTTP is just as asynch as SMTP.
> >

> This may be a terminology confusion.

That's why I asked him: "what do you mean by asynchronous?" ;)

> ... Many people carelessly use
> "SMTP" to refer to the whole e-mail transaction, possibly up to and
> including a response like this one typed by a human being and sent
> back as a reply. That's clearly asynchronous.

My assertion is that that has a lot more to do with the design of SMTP
*software* than the SMTP *protocol*. And we could paste an HTTP
interface onto the software and combine the advantages of REST
(addressability) and SMTP (robust asynch software).

 Paul Prescod