   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re:[xml-dev]"Abstract"URIs

Patrick Stickler wrote:

> With all due respect, Paul, this is a pretty weak argument.
>
> "They work for me, for what I do, so they must work for you, too"

Rather: "they work for me and if you have practical problems you'll have
to explain them to me because I don't see them."

> Those who are concerned with dissemination of content for display
> in browsers don't see the problems with URIs. Those who want to
> use URIs to model knowledge see them all to well.

I'm sure this is true. I was proceeding more from Simon's point of view
which I perceive to be the opposite of yours. He sees the conceptual
generalization from URLs to URIs to be a problem. I think it is healthy
and productive to think of "those strings" as identifiers, not
locations, in part because it allows knowledge modeling.

 Paul Prescod