   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was:Re:[xml-dev]"Abstract"URIs

On 2002-02-19 12:52, "ext Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net> wrote:

> Patrick Stickler wrote:

>> With all due respect, Paul, this is a pretty weak argument.
>>
>> "They work for me, for what I do, so they must work for you, too"
>
> Rather: "they work for me and if you have practical problems you'll have
> to explain them to me because I don't see them."

Fair enough.

>> Those who are concerned with dissemination of content for display
>> in browsers don't see the problems with URIs. Those who want to
>> use URIs to model knowledge see them all to well.
>
> I'm sure this is true. I was proceeding more from Simon's point of view
> which I perceive to be the opposite of yours. He sees the conceptual
> generalization from URLs to URIs to be a problem. I think it is healthy
> and productive to think of "those strings" as identifiers, not
> locations, in part because it allows knowledge modeling.

It seems to allow knowledge modelling, but I'm beginning to wonder
if the representation-not-resource view of URLs is precise enough
for knowledge modelling. Maybe. Still, there are numerous examples
which have arisen in the countless instantiations of the URL/URN
or name vs. location, or contemporary vs. classical debate that
seem to suggest that the name/location distinction is significant
for KR even if it is not significant for web browsers, and the
fact that URLs are inherently locations (however many ways you
bend and twist the RFCs to call them names) continues to result
in confusion.

I think that in the end, we may simply have to agree that, yes,
URIs are names, but they might -- as in the case of URLs -- be
the names of locations; and then deal with the distinction between
names denoting static resources and names denoting locations (which
are also resources) from where representations (possibly variable)
of static resources might be obtained.

Would web browsers care about such distinctions? Probably not.
Would knowledge modelling/management applications care. Probably.

Cheers,

Patrick