   Re: [xml-dev] Traditional RPC

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 09:57 am, Matthew Gertner wrote:
> Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> > I've often felt that the requirements for those two things are so
> > vastly different that different tools should be used... one way or
> > another, publishing to the web and developing web-based
> > applications is simply too hard and too expensive...
>
> Wow, this is a problem? I would have said that it is the Web's (and
> therefore, by implication, REST's) biggest strength.

Then you obviously haven't watched people spend millions of dollars a
year trying to build and maintain a corporate web site. Indepedent of
REST architecture, the success of the web, as I've seen it evolve, is
largely due to a sequence of quick wins (instant gratification) and
boatloads of hype dollars.

> The fact of the  matter is that besides a handful of infrastructure,
> development and  design/authoring tools, all of which could
> plausibly be supplied by one vendor (whose name could plausibly
> start with "M"), nearly every  application involves nothing more
> than displaying information and soliciting additional information
> from users using forms, with some straightforward notion of business
> logic (i.e. for data validation and moving the user from one screen
> to the next).

The *FACT* is that the devil (and the cost) is in the details. Have
you ever built something like  http://www.internetweek.com/ and then
maintained it? If you have, I'd *love* to know your secret to success
so I can point people at it.... I'm as much of a SMOP-monger as anyone
else, but exerience tells me that the barrier to entry is high, and
getting higher.

The web, as it exists, is tremendously successful, and tremendously
*wasteful*....