   Re: [xml-dev] Traditional RPC

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 12:30 pm, Matthew Gertner wrote:
> This might be true, but I doubt it. I truly believe that the Web,
> for all its warts and insufficiencies, is far better for the
> development of, say, a corporate website, than anything that came
> before.

The fact is that "corporate websites" became a necessity only after
people started really doing stuff. What a lot of people have found is
that doing quick and dirty stuff is easy, but doing anything of
reasonable complexity is still *hard*.

>The hype came *after* people discovered that their
> grandmothers were putting together websites, not before.

I don't know many grandmothers that have web sites.... or reasonable
ones anyway. The web in terms of size is huge, but a lot of it is
really wasteland... and I think the barrier to entry is at least part
of it (the other being that most people have little to say... the rest
join XML-DEV ;-))

> I still don't really see what you are getting at. You seem to imply
> in your initial post that we would be better off having separate
> infrastructure for information delivery and application development.
> Then you give the example of InternetWeek.com, which looks like the
> perfect example of an application that requires both.

The point I was trying to make is that we need to keep the different
needs and markets in mind.... and we shouldn't feel constrained by the
success of one to carry the mechanism into the other.