   Re: [xml-dev] Errors in Kendall Clark's xml.com article on QNames

[Norm comes to the party late, struggling as ever to keep up with
xml-dev and failing as usual.]

%<snip>%

/ ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) was heard to say:
| The quote I disagreed with didn't say "I can't" or "my favourite
| software doesn't", it said "there's no way".  All it takes to disprove
| a universal is to give one counter-example, and I did.  I'm sorry your
| parser isn't schema-aware, but it could be, and then you'd be better
| off.

%<snip>%

/ ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) was heard to say:
| that's another story).  So use, XPath is a sensible use.  And no, XML
| Schema doesn't immediately give you everything you need to find the
| QNames lurking within XPath expressions.  XPath is worth it, despite
| this, in my view.

I can't quite get both those paragraphs into my head simultaneously,
Henry. On the one hand, you're arguing that a schema-aware processor
solves the problem (SMOP). On the other, you're saying that for XPath,
one of the (if not the) most significant uses of QNames in content,
schema-aware processing doesn't help.

Or am I missing something?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | Worrying is the most natural and spontaneous
XML Standards Engineer | of all human functions. It is time to