   Re: [xml-dev] Re: [namespaceDocument-8] 14 Theses

On 2002-02-20 3:27, "ext Ronald Bourret" <rpbourret@rpbourret.com> wrote:

> Patrick Stickler wrote:
>>
>> On 2002-02-18 8:00, "ext Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:
>> Also in item 4, you say "when you use something whose most common
>> application is retrieval, and you use it to identify something which has
>> supporting definitive material, it is wilfully perverse not to connect the
>> retrieval function with the supporting material." which I both agree
>> with, and also consider to be a good argument for not using 'http:' URIs
>> for *anything* which is not intended to be HTTP GETable, including
>> abstract or non-digital resources, vocabulary terms, etc. etc. This is
>> a very nice argument for URPs ;-)
>
> I agree with Patrick here. This is a good argument against using URLs as
> a namespace name. Reality sides with Tim, though, as standing in the way
> of widespread expectations about the resolvability of URLs used as
> namespace names is like standing in front of an 18-wheel truck.

I'm not afraid. I'm wearing a helmet.  (and fortunately, if
you drop fast enough, 18-wheel trucks have reasonable ground
clearance... it's all in the timing...  ;-)

> I also think that the real thrust of Patrick's argument echoes that of
> the recent debate on RDDL. RDDL is a nice way to find information about
> a given namespace, but it is insufficient for document processing in the
> general case given the wide variation in namespace semantics that Tim
> points out in item (2). That is, it may be possible to process a
> document based solely on the information in various RDDL documents, but
> this is unlikely to be true in general.

I think that's basically right. RDDL as it is now has limited
general functionality. With a few tweaks, it would have more
general functinality -- and could be a reasonable interim
solution until DDDS and other technologies mature and gain
broad enough deployment.

Patrick