   RE: [xml-dev] Inclusion in XML versus SGML

According to James Clark's http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-sgml-xml.html,
inclusions and exclusions are not allowed in XML DTDs.
For more help on this, see "Inclusions and Exclusions" in Norm Walsh's
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/98/07/dtd/. Quote: "It may be very difficult (even
impossible) to make an XML DTD that is structurally identical to an SGML DTD
that uses inclusions or exclusions."

Why not just something like

<!ELEMENT book (chapter,section,(para|etc|usw)+)>

or in RELAX NG
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/tutorial-20011203.html)

<element name="book">
 <element name="chapter">