   Re: [xml-dev] Inclusion in XML versus SGML

The effect of <!ELEMENT book (chapter,section) +(para)> probably isn't
what's wanted anyway.  This would also allow paragraphs before chapters,
between chapters and sections, and after sections.  And in addition, I
suspect that chapters would want to contain sections, not sit next to them,
so the example is a little artificial.

Inclusion has often been used in SGML when regular content models (usually
repeatable-OR groups) would have been a better choice.  If the document
type really is for books, there are plenty of examples of how to do this
using good practices -- DocBook, for example.

Once upon a time I wrote a white paper about migrating SGML DTDs with
exceptions (inclusions and exclusions) into XML.  Looks like it's still up;
it hasn't aged too terribly badly, assuming that the migration is into XML
DTDs and not more modern schemas:

   http://www.arbortext.com/html/exceptions_wp.html

         Eve