   RE: [xml-dev] Re: [namespaceDocument-8] 14 Theses

Why not use the OASIS catalog, an FPI and the version in the namespace value?

"most FPIs look like this:

      owner//class description//language//version"

What advantages does RDDL have over an OASIS catalog?

I'm not sure I buy the "large number of pieces of
metadata".   If there is truly a lot of metadata,
it is possible one actually has a new vocabulary
or a different version.  This seems to be a design
practice issue, not a specification issue.

The "every conceivable application" is a red herring.
There will always be Yet Another Application *possible*.
The question is, is it sufficient for every application
it's owners possess or will acquire soon.

Probably, we need some documentation of
"practical purposes that programmers care
about" and then need to discover if these are
the same as purposes other users and owners
of the information care about.

These are not always the same.

len