   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP-RPC and REST and security

It does add some overhead, but it also pays off in terms of affording rich
functionality. Our software is explicitly designed to support a vendor's
extranet for partners. The models for what privileges vendors wish to accord
to specific partners can get fairly complex, and would be unmanageable IMO
with a straightforward ACL model. The sort of business functionality
requires the sort of flexibilty that our model affords. The field level
security is accomplished by integrating it with our data access layer and
keeping developers from hitting the database directly. So the overhead is
largely just a matter of interpreting and reformulating SQL DML statements
(based on customizable business rules) rather than just passing them blindly
on through to the database.